Tigerlilly Quinn: DIY Dressing Table

Thursday, 4 August 2011

DIY Dressing Table

This week Tom and I have worked (almost) solidly at the DIY jobs we need to get done for the house before the baby is born (eek!). We made a pact of no TV apart from the news once a day and we havn't missed it one bit (although tonight I am going to treat myself to an episode of Torchwood). This bodes well for our plan to ditch TV when the baby is born, we end up watching SO much rubbish and with Iplayer/4od and box sets we really don't need it. 
I bought this dressing table for £10 from gumtree about 8 months ago with the intention of doing it up, but like most things it hadn't been the top of my list of important things to do so had been left looking a bit sad and dejected and mainly used to pile random things on. So this week I set about finally set about completing it!


As you can see its pretty dull-ville at the moment. 
The top was covered in a sheet of pretend wood which I stripped off to reveal the cover. It was still super sticky though and no amount of sanding or washing at the glue would budge it (this actually turned out in my favour in the end as was perfect to hold the fabric in place whilst i secured it)
I had to sand the legs and sides down as they were coated in varnish and then I set about painting it with a white undercoat


I then painted it a couple of times in a blue furniture paint (which I forgot to take pictures of).

I also painted this stool (which I found in a charity shop for £1!) it had a yucky yellow pattered top originally so I decided to replace that too. I found this material in IKEA for around £9 a metre (I didnt need to use that much) and covered the top in it. I then cut around the sides enough so I could tuck it under. To do this neatly (around a odd shaped table) I cut little slits in it so i could bend it round the corners whilst keeping the top flat.

 

I Tom then stapled the sides down for me and I super glued the flappy bits so it would look neat. 

I then did the same with the seat, this was much easier as it was a rectangle shape and took about 5 minutes!

I added mix match handles, and then was done!







In total this project probably cost me about £25..but with waiting for paint to dry probably took about three days! Still its worth it and as I sit in bed and type this I keep stealing little glances at it and feeling proud xoxo

12 comments:

lisa said...

Wow you really did well! i love it, especially the drawer handles.x

Tigerlilly Quinn said...

Thankyou! x

FAYE WEST said...

good job pregnant lady!

Tigerlilly Quinn said...

thanks Faye! xx

Bianca said...

ooh wow, what a neat idea, putting fabric on the dresser top! Looks gorgeous - paint job and fabric both lovely, not to mention the drawer handles! A productive week off you've had, I think you deserve an episode of torchwood tonight! :) x

Tigerlilly Quinn said...

@bianca thanks! no where near as nice as the creations you make with fabric! x

Emmi said...

The worn-out colour looks really nice with those handles!

Tigerlilly Quinn said...

Thanks Emmi! x

Rachel Lewis Illustration said...

This looks amazing Fritha!! wow. I'd love to have the time to do stuff like this. Eee! xxx

Rachel Clare Price said...

I love this! I want to do this to a pine coffee table thing i rescued from my mums garage but i just havent had the time :D I love the handles, theyre so cute
xxxx

Tigerlilly Quinn said...

Thanks both Rachels! :) xx

Carrolluadz said...

Thanks Emmi! x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...